ADVERTISE WITH US

Producer IzyBeats Speaks Transition From Soundboard To Keep Microphone As Artist

 

Grammy-winning producer Andron “IzyBeats” Cross has undoubtedly made his mark in the music industry, during the 17 years of his career as a Beat singer for local and international actors.Most people probably know her for her Product label "Yo Izy, are you kidding me ?!" "that is her jingle, like Koffee's song, Toast. It just so happened that the child put that sarcastic question — and here it is today.

For the first time in almost two decades, a native of Hellshire, St. Catherine — now Florida, has taken on a new challenge. Not only is he a renowned producer, but the recording artist will be added to his profile as soon as he releases his debut album in the coming months.

One Dancehall music site sat down with Izy to discuss her transition from Soundboard to Microphone.

What prompted the decision to make the first album?I work with people all the time and help people for years, since I've been making music and everyone for years has been saying to me, 'Yo, you need to work on your album.' because I didn’t feel like I was ready yet. But now, with all the success of the production, I feel like it's the right time — it's the right opportunity. I am encouraged by everything that has been happening for years and I am taking the time right now, and just running it.

Je! do you have his name yet?


I still don't have an official name. I think about justice ... I want it to come to me naturally. I have not arrived yet. I have a few thoughts, but I have not yet chosen anything, so I am still working on that.


Within the next two months or so the UK-based label [Believe Music] is set to release its first song. I think about eight or nine, give or take.


Did you produce it independently?


I am the producer on the album, along with other people, of course. But like, they are a distribution company.


Can you express yourself as a deejay or singjay?


I'm done. I grew up in a dancehall, (but) I was very influenced by R&B when I came to America. So, I sing a lot. I can sing. I am more than R&B / deejay, a kind of mix. If you had heard some of my versions, you would have been like, 'okay everything is mixed up. There is a mix of islands and R&B and everything. '


For this project, how can you describe it; what kind


It's a mix. That’s what we’re trying to figure out now, because right now I’ve done so many different types of styles. We are trying to see what will work best. So, a little mix of R&B, Afro sounds, Dancehall mixed, and a bunch of highlighted artists. Maybe I do 40/50 songs, and I will choose eight out of 40.


How long have you been working on the project?


I would say three to four months now, almost that.

What are some of the top artists you have worked with?


I would say Jorja Smith would probably be on top because he is one of the bosses, and Burna Boy. [Be Honest] Of course, Coffee, Kranium… I did some things with H.E.R. He worked with Ne-yo, Masego. Vybz Kartel was one of my first songs. Most people do not know that I worked with him. That's all I can think of, so far.


How would you describe your childhood growing up in Jamaica? Can you say that this affected your love for music and music production
?


Oh absolutely! Absolutely. One of my first influences was Dancehall music in Jamaica. That was the first kind of music I really heard and listened to. You know you don't know Reggae and Dancehall grows in Jamaica. It is a great influence on me. It is part of all my productions and my music history.

Have any other artists or producers ever encouraged you to enter this industry?


The producer I read the most was Timberland. I was just listening to his production; listening to Aaliyah… I was listening to all those things. Listening to Dr. Dre, trying to figure out how they make this kind of music. With a dancehall, I used to listen to a lot of things in Ward 21. Snowcone was also a great producer… Sly & Robbie… people like that, I was just exploring their design and figuring out how they do it.

Music is a very big, almost endless industry. What makes Izy unique as a producer?



What makes me unique is the only opportunity for me to live in the whole world for a good time. And just take a piece of culture (from both)… America, and be Jamaica for my childhood. I have learned how to combine the two sounds together, and then what makes me unique is also me as a person. I just become a happy person in the studio and people kinda fascinated by that kinda vibe. I bring in good energy all the time.

You have released Silver Tongue Devil and Yebo / Sem on the Grammy-nominated Masego album, Studying Abroad: Extended Stay. . How do you feel about that?


Oh, it's amazing! A second appointment for me in this short time of my being in business, professionally. It's amazing. I never thought I would be in this position when I was on my way up.

How did the collaboration with Masego come about?


Masego and I had been friends for some time now but we never got along. Recently we were like, let’s do it with me and it was just good vibes. He got very good energy. Very nice vibe, so when he and I met it was natural and it worked from there. It’s more than just music for me now. I have come to his house, he has been in my place and it is very cool.

How confident are you that he will win in the Best R&B Development Album category?


Ah dude! I pray for you my man. I am very confident that he will win because he has been working hard, and it seems. And I feel like God has found him. He will surely find this one.

Aside from your own project, are you dealing with anything else with any other artist?


I deal with some things on the H.E.R album, dealing with some things on the Kranium… Matter… stuff mengi many different things.

No comments: